Data Protection (GDPR)
Coppice Farm Primary respects you and your child’s privacy and is committed to complying with privacy legislation. The general data protection regulations come into effect on 25th May 2018. The information below explains how we use and protect your personal information. Our main policies page also has key policy documents and statements.
GDPR and Schools:
A great deal of the processing of personal data undertaken by schools will fall under a specific legal basis, ‘in the public interest’. As it is in the public interest to operate schools successfully, it will mean that specific consent will not be needed in the majority of cases in schools.
GDPR will ensure data is protected and will give individuals more control over their data, however this means schools will have greater accountability for the data:
- Under GDPR, consent must be explicitly given to anything that isn't within the normal business of the school, especially if it involves a third party managing the data. Parents (or the pupil themselves depending on their age) must express consent for their child's data to be used outside of the normal business of the school.
- Schools must appoint a Data Protection Officer and be able to prove that they are GDPR compliant.
- Schools must ensure that their third party suppliers who may process any of their data is GDPR compliant and must have legally binding contracts with any company that processes any personal data. These contracts must cover what data is being processed, who it is being processed by, who has access to it and how it is protected.
- It will be compulsory that all data breaches which are likely to have a detrimental effect on the data subject are reported to the ICO within 72 hours
We have a Data Protection Officer whose role it is to ensure that any personal information processed by the school is processed fairly and lawfully. If you have any concerns or questions regarding how we look after your personal information or require any additional information regarding data protection, you may also contact the data protection officer via the school office on 0115 9560990. Alternatively please speak to the headteacher.
Our Data Protection Officer and GDPR Governor is Dr. Jo Morling, contactable via our school office on email@example.com
- Our GDPR policies and statements can be found on our main policies page
- A guide to UK GDPR Regulations can be found at: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/
Child Friendly Privacy Notice: